On October 19 is celebrated worldwide on the Day of Struggle Against Breast Cancer. The best tool for this struggle is early detection, therefore, worldwide October it intended to disseminating useful knowledge about this disease. The Breast Cancer is the most common malignancy in women. It is the second leading cause of cancer mortality in the whole population (after lung cancer) and is the leading cause of cancer death among 45 and 55 years.
The probability of having Breast Cancer is 1 in every 8 women.
The most common risk factors are:
- Age: between 45 and 60 years (primarily, but not exclusive way);
- Female (although men can have breast cancer);
- Some of benign breast disease (atypical hyperplasia);
- Family history and personal Breast Cancer;
- Obesity in postmenopausal women;
- Early menarche (onset of menstruation) and/or late menopause (for a longer period of exposure to estrogen);
- Use of hormone replacement with estrogen.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month (BCAM), also referred to in America as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM), is an annual international health campaign organized by major breast cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure. The campaign also offers information and support to those affected by breast cancer.
Source: wikipedia.org | alexanderfleming.org | cancer.org | who.int